Schwab Investor Card from American Express Review
[2019.9 Update] – The $200 signup bonus after $2k spend has returned and is valid until November 6, 2019. HT: DoC
- $200 offer: earn $200 after spending $2,000 in 3 months.
- Earn 1.5% cash back on all purchases.
- This card provides access to Amex Offers, which provide very good discounts at various vendors. In the past we have seen offers like: Spend $15 or more and get $5 back at Walmart; Spend $75 or more and get $25 back on Amazon.com.
- No annual fee.
- You need to have a Charles Schwab Brokerage Account to be eligible to apply for this card. It’s free though.
- It has foreign transaction fee, so it's not a good choice outside the US.
Recommended Application Time
- You can only get the welcome bonus once in a lifetime, so be sure to apply when the historical highest offer appears.
- AmEx doesn’t care about the number of hard pulls.
- You can try to apply for it when you have a credit history of 3 months.
- You must wait at least 90 days between the application for BCE and BCP, otherwise the application will be cancelled.
Only one AmEx credit card can be approved in a day. This rule does not apply to charge cards, you can be approved for one credit card and multiple charge cards in the day.Multiple cards approved in the same day will only have one Hard Pull.
- Only 2 AmEx credit cards can be approved within 90 days, but again, this rule does not apply to charge cards.
- You can keep at most 5 AmEx credit cards, not including charge cards.
The 1.5% cash back earning trails the Citi DoubleCash, Amex Blue Business Plus, and various other 2%2x earning products. Note that, this card is issued by AmEx, not Schwab, so it counts towards the 5 credit card limit. Personally I don’t think this card is worth a slot, but it may be worth it for the signup bonus if you have earned most other AmEx bonuses.
- Click here to check AmEx application status.
- AmEx reconsideration backdoor number: 877-399-3083. The “real” backdoor number of Amex is well protected. Different from Chase, the representatives from this AmEx reconsideration backdoor number only have the right to help you submit requests.